Classic Summer Pudding Recipe
Summer is in the air! Our quintessentially British "Classic Summer Pudding served with Cornish Clotted Cream" is packed with juicy summer berries and is the perfect flavoursome afterthought to a sunny BBQ or meal.
Fancy trying your hand at this simple yet delicious dessert at home? Our Group Executive Chef, Paul Prescott, has shared his foolproof recipe below.
(Or for those who prefer leaving it to the professionals, this tasty pud will be on our menus all summer long!)
The Fishpool Inn's Classic Summer Pudding
Makes 6 portions
1 sliced white loaf medium
1kg summer berries (we find frozen works best)
375g castor sugar
15ml lemon juice
- Combine the fruit, sugar and lemon juice in a large pan. Bring to the boil and then allow to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare the bread by removing the crusts.
- Once the fruit has softened and reduced into compote, drain the liquid into a large separate bowl.
- Dip the bread into the warm liquid and line a pudding basin or tray; then fill with the summer berries. Repeat this process twice more to give you 3 layers.
- Greaseproof the top of the pudding and weigh it down to compress it, place it in the freezer for a couple of hours to set.
- Serve cold with Cornish clotted cream.